Friday, December 16, 2011

Soft Ginger Cookies



These cookies flatten and crack as they cool. The secret in keeping them soft is to remove them from the oven as soon as they are set but before they start to brown.

2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses

4 1/2 cups flour
4 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ginger
l/2 tsp. cloves
l/2 tsp. salt


Cream together the sugar and shortening. Add eggs and beat until thick. Add the molasses and stir until combined.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Add to creamed mixture and stir just until blended. If the dough is very soft (hot day? warm kitchen?), wrap it in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes (or freezer for about 10-15min;).

Shape into 1” balls and roll in granulated sugar. Place on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350ยบ for 7 - 10 minutes or just until set but before they start to brown. It is about 9 minutes in my oven. I look at the bottom of the cookies to see if they are browning. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh. I have had a thing of molasses at my house for forever, now I can use it for something yummy!!! Thanks Haley!

    ReplyDelete