Thursday, August 20, 2009

Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients:
2 lbs potatoes (russet) made into mashed potatoes (however you prefer)
1.5 lbs ground beef
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 TBS butter
4 TBS flour
1 cup beef stock or broth
2 tsp Worcestershire
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 teaspoon paprika
2 TBS fresh parsley
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated cheese (cheddar or whatever kind you like best)
Directions:
Make mashed potatoes however you like them (I usually add butter and sour cream until the consistency is to my liking). While potatoes are cooking, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes, season with salt and pepper. Add chopped carrots and onion to the meat. Cook veggies with meat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. In a second small skillet over medium heat cook butter and flour together for 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy for 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Stir in peas.
Preheat broiler to high. Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vege mix. Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. Top potatoes with cheese and paprika and broil 8 inches away from heat until cheese and potatoes are evenly browned. Top casserole dish with chopped parsley and serve.
Recipe by Rachel Ray - modified by Haley Rencher;
Photo by Haley Rencher

3 comments:

  1. I think you're awesome and I miss you! What a great homemaker! Next I want you to do a home craft blog. I am in on the recipe blog. I just tried a new recipe tonight and have been interested in branching off the old family recipes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haley,
    I just ran into another mom's cooking blog you might like:
    realmomkitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Haley! I am glad that you started this blog. I will be a frequent visitor;)

    ReplyDelete